Scuba divers are adventurous people and it is only natural to have an interest in diving wrecks. There is always something to see around or in a wreck with photo opportunities or there’s an interesting history with a particular wreck. With your Wreck Diver Specialty certification you will have the knowledge and comfort to dive around and in a wreck with no direct access to the surface.
Most divers know that diving in a wreck can present hazards which are not easily recognised by untrained or unaware divers. The Wreck Diver Specialty course was developed to explore a different and very exciting dive environment safely and comfortably.
This is one of the next steps after becoming an Advanced Open Water Diver to take, which explores the intricacies and dangers involved with exploring an unknown shipwreck.
The PADI Wreck Diver Course with SubmersibleHuman
SubmersibleHuman prefers to only teach personalized courses with 1 or maximum 2 students this ensures greater access to information, questions, and skill improvement, rather than being one of many. This course is best completed with a buddy pair – to reinforce buddy communication and working together, thinking like divers – but can also run with just the 1 diver of course, for more personalized supervision. If your aim is to increase your skills, experience and competence – not just receiving another certification card – then this is the course for you.
The PADI Wreck Diver Course is an internationally recognised certification program allowing you to explore & penetrate a shipwreck, providing of course you hold the correct depth & specialty qualifications that the wreck lies in.
exHMAS Brisbane, prepared for scuttling intentionally for divers to explore safely, we are very privileged to have a fantastic shipwreck so close to our location. It is so large that the four dives you complete will barely scratch the surface of what an excellent site this is.
The PADI Wreck Diver course is a performance-based course and can be broken down to 2 components:
The course begins when you receive your course study manual, and you can begin reading, along with watching the DVD. Complete the Knowledge Reviews at the end of the two sections.
Open Water Training – 2 Days
Ocean Day 1 & 2
Will take us to Mooloolabah to complete the four dives of the course requirements, on the wreck of the exHMAS Brisbane.
- Deep Dive Course Dive #1
- Deep Dive Course Dive #2
- Deep Dive Course Dive #3
- Deep Dive Course Dive #4
The Equipment You Will Need
In the PADI Wreck Diver course, you are required to use all standard equipment including a dive computer. As a potential Advanced Open Water Diver, you are asked to also carry a few additional diver tools.
- Mask & Snorkel
- Fins & Boots (Boots & Open Heel fins are preferred to protect your feet & ankles from the encrustations in the wreck)
- Wetsuit – 3mm recommended for Summer, 5mm for Winter – full length steamer
- Regulator with Alternate Airsource/Octopus
- Dive Computer (with full knowledge of its capabilities – this is not a course during which to learn to use a computer)
- All the above can be hired if required.
QLD Legislation required items – must be carried by all certified divers in QLD (Not available for hire)
- Audible Signalling Device (Whistle/Air Horn etc)
- Visual Signalling Device (Safety Sausage/SMB etc)
- Cutting Tool (Knife/Shears/Line Cutter etc)
Wreck Diver Tools – (Not available for hire)
- Primary Dive Torch – minimum 400 lumens
- Backup Dive Torch – minimum 200 lumens
- Wreck Reel/Spool – minimum 35m line
- Writing Slate – minimum A5 size
- Communications device – Noisemaker/Rattle
As you are an only student or buddy pair, there is plenty of time underwater in the marine environment to perform the skills as you learn their uses and applications in both roles of the buddy pair. There is ample time for questions, and repeat attempts to really get the feel of learning the practical skills involved.
Course Investment Includes:
- PADI Wreck Diver Crew pack
- 2 Days Personalised Instruction
- 4 Open Water Training Dives:
- 2 Day Boat-Based Diving – Mooloolabah with Scubaworld (2 dives)
- Use of Tanks & Weights on all dives
- Use of detailed Wreck Slate for Wreck dive
- Discounts on Dive Equipment purchases from Go Dive Brisbane
- Project Aware Certification Card upon successful completion of all requirements
- Australian Dive Medical 4005.1 (not all students require a Dive Medical – please complete this questionnaire – we will advise if you need a dive medical from the information you provide about your health)
- Transport to & from dive site departure points
- Scuba Equipment Hire if required (as above)
- QLD Legislation Safety Items (as above)
- Wreck Diver Tools (as above)
- Minimum Advanced Open Water Diver Qualification or equivalent
- Minimum 15 years of age
Investment in your buddy bespoke buddy training program – Two divers – $1599.00
Investment in your own bespoke training program – One-on-One – $1249.00
As this is a personalised program, we will build a schedule around your timeframe and availability as a buddy pair. Dive Days are Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday – dependent on weather & Vessel availability will affect the boat days – however we will work together to create a bespoke program especially for you.
Does this sound like the kind of training you are interested in?
Please contact Di at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a suggested itinerary which can be designed around your availability for your PADI Wreck Diver Certification. We can then work with you to design a bespoke program to your timeframe & schedule.